Saturday, February 25, 2012

An Exciting New Adventure

         On Wednesday, February 29, 2012 I will be talking with John Byk on his radio blog 2012writersALIVE.  I have never done anything like this before, and I am very excited about it.

John’s radio blog features interviews with authors whose books deal with social problems, and I was fortunate enough to interest him in my books about Palestinian refugees (Born a Refugee and Refugee Without Refuge).  We will be discussing the humanitarian aspects of living in the refugee camps and the problems the refugees encounter as a result of living under occupation, with a particular emphasis of education.  John Byk is an educator and has traveled widely, giving him a unique perspective on the problems.

The blog is an audio broadcast (hence the name radio blog) and can be heard live by anyone who goes to his website http://2012writersalive.blogspot.com/.  I expect him to call me at 1:30 PM Eastern Standard Time on Wednesday, and I assume the interview will go live shortly thereafter.  If you miss it, he archives his blog posts and you can listen to them anytime.

Social injustices are pack animals--they seldom exist in isolation, and they have no respect for international borders.  Poverty, overcrowding, lack of preventive health care, and limited access to education are all examples of injustices that exist in the refugee camps and in other areas throughout the world.

Some of his previous blogs have focused on topics such as domestic violence, victims’ rights, bullying, civil rights, and post traumatic stress disorder.  Our discussion will probably cover some of these same topics since unfortunately, these problems exist throughout the world.



In addition to having an interesting blog, John is also a talented writer.  He writes under the pen name Conrad Jonson.  I am currently reading his book Till the Moon Falls.  It is a thriller that will keep you turning pages and keep your light on far past your bedtime.  I am thoroughly enjoying it.  The hero, John Oxman, is very likeable, and I hope there are more of his adventures.

 
    To my delight, Till the Moon Falls is part of a series.  The second book is Xenophobia, and the third one is Detroit Daze.  I can't wait to read them all.


 
                        


 

1 comment:

  1. This is sure to be an engaging and interesting interview and I like forward to the opportunity to interview such a dedicated educator and humanitarian who has experienced what few others have.

    ReplyDelete